The Net Is Watching
There is quite a bit of breaking news today regarding Regin: a very sophisticated surveillance malware. Malware is nothing new to many of us, but the wrinkle here are the words "nation state" or "state sponsored."
And it's not anything new. Best estimates based upon the articles that I have read thusfar place its age somewhere around 6 years. According to Larry Seltzer at ZDNet, "This back-door trojan has been in use, according to the security company, since at least 2008, and has stayed under the radar since."
I've placed links to different articles regarding Regin below for reference. This will most likely be dominating the tech news pages for the foreseeable future.
- Symantec: Regin: Top-tier espionage tool enables stealthy surveillance
- BBC: Security firms uncover 'sophisticated' Regin spyware
- ZDNet: Regin nation state malware research revealed by security companies
- ZDNet: Which nation-state is behind the sophisticated, stealthy Regin malware?
- PCMag: Symantec Warns of 'Regin' Malware